Probably Genetic is a group of geneticists, engineers, and patients seeking to help people with rare diseases access genetic testing. The company has recently launched a no-cost genetic testing program for people with seizures, movement disorders and/or developmental delay. Eligible individuals can receive whole exome sequencing at no cost. This testing analyzes all of the protein-coding regions of your DNA for disease-causing mutations.
To participate, candidates must reside in the United States. Eligibility for the program is determined by a
brief, easy-to-understand online quiz. Care partners, friends, or family members are encouraged to submit
on behalf of their loved one if their loved one cannot complete the Symptom Checker without assistance.
How it works
- First, go to the Symptom Checker website on any internet-connected device. Answer the questions in their entirety. It should only take 5-10 minutes.
- The Probably Genetic team will thoroughly evaluate your Symptom Checker response to assess you eligibility. This typically occurs within one to two weeks.
- If you are eligible, you can claim your test, and the lab will send a kit right to your door. Collect a saliva sample and ship it back in the pre-paid box. We can also assist you in scheduling a USPS pick-up.
- Results are available in 6 to 8 weeks. This test shows all disease-causing mutations related to your reported symptoms, even those that are not seizure-related.
- If genetic testing is offered, you will have access to post-test genetic counseling with a board-certified genetic counselor. The genetic counseling sessions are virtual and are included at no cost to ensure you can make informed decisions and understand the results.
- Finally, view the status of your Symptom Checker submission and/or test kit through the patient portal. You can download a PDF copy of your genetic report, as well as a file containing your raw genetic data.
The Probably Genetic team is always open to feedback so the program is as successful as possible for this